Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Guest Post by Martin King

I am happy to participate in the 100blogfest tour! Return with us now to those Golden Days of Yesteryear, where you had to be the First Kid On Your Block to have the latest TV toys. The following is by Martin King:

I remember so many great TV programs when I was a kid. The likes of
Star Trek everyone remembers because its longevity. But what about
some of the others? But more importantly back then, it wasn’t all
about the TV program and how good it was for the audience, but it was
all about the toys.

I remember owning a SS Enterprise ship that you could press a button
and it fired round discs. Then there was a sci-fi show, now I think
I’ve got it right, called UFO. They had these space ships that looked
like a sort of helicopter, but instead of having two runners, they had
a third one at the front.

They also had a huge torpedo missile at the front and you pressed a
button to fire it. I had one of them that I swapped some rubbish car
with this kid for. What an easy swap. But that was the best thing
about sci-fi toys, they always seem to have extra working gadgets on
them compared to most other toys.

I could talk about so many great programmes and toys, but my all time
favourite had to be Space 1999. I loved that show, but better still
were the Eagles. And I had a full set of them. They had to be the best
toy ever.

You could disconnect it’s undercarriage and fly the ship off
separately. But also there was this one type I had that had these
toxic barrels on with magnets on the top. A winch and rope was
connected to the craft and you could lower it down and pick up the
barrels, amazing stuff.

Just as a side point, I remember there was a recall or something
because the little plastic barrels had paper wrapped around them with
toxic symbols. Apparently the paint they had used was toxic. My mate
sent his back and got a replacement – plain boring plastic barrels. I
kept mine, they looked better!!!

These blogs are all about fun and sharing. Thank you for reading a
‘#100blogfest’ blog. Please follow this link to find the next blog in
the series: http://martinkingauthor.com/blog/7094550076

No comments:

Post a Comment