Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Inspiration and Attitude

Sometimes I must ask myself, why are you doing this? Why branch out, why bifurcate your efforts at this stage of your life?

Maybe it's because I have attitude. Don't get me wrong, my attitude is grounded in the fact that my time devoted to creative pursuits are precious, and with the time I have left to create, I must devote the proper amount of attention to my goals.

I have unfinished manuscripts in my desk; I have unfinished drawings in my portfolio. My art takes an enormous amount of time. These are not photo-shopped images, these are pictures delivered on paper with a technical drawing pen, one line or dot at a time. I have one picture that took me 27 years to complete!

I take the same "quit talking about it and get it done" attitude to my writing endeavors. Keep at it until it's done, don't quit. In the grand scheme of things, this all seems to fit my mindset. And, just as I do with the art, I try to be as detailed as possible in my writings. I hope it shows.


This image "One Universe, Some Assembly Required" mirrors my approach to writing. The book is there, the pieces are there, all I have to do is tinker them together with a sustainable plot and well-defined characters. Easy, right?

Tomorrow: Getting Traction

No comments:

Post a Comment