Monday, June 13, 2011

The Plot Thickens

What drives me to write? What drives the plot? One simple answer. Imagination.

I started reading sci-fi back in the 1950's and once I got hooked on Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury, Clarke, and the like, I have always wondered, What's Really Out There?

During my stint in the Air Force, where I served as a Chinese Linguist, I had a close encounter. It was in February of 1967 out in the desert south of San Angelo, Texas. I started writing that experience once I got out of the service (didn't want to jeopardize my TS clearance while I was in) and the unfinished manuscript still languishes in my desk drawer. I cannot complete it for some reason, probably a mental block, probably the inability to string the right words together to make it acceptable reading material for folks of all ages.

Back in the day, when Project Blue Book was hot, I wondered just what was hidden behind those chain-links up in Area 51. I wondered what those lights in the sky over my childhood home in Washington, DC, in the 1950's really were. I wondered about the Drake Equation, I wondered about the universe at large.

In trying to square that circle of mysteries, I decided to write one of my own. Partially inspired by "By His Bootstraps" (Heinlein writing as Anson MacDonald, I think) I presented a time-travel, Area 51, multiple universe, alien technology sci-fi thriller of my own. A Chip In Time.


Tomorrow: Inspiration and attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment