Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Eye

Developing a style is important in art as well as writing. I have been creating a style of black and white pen and ink drawings for the last forty years. Dark images, full of detail, thought-provoking things from my imagination.

Isn't that exactly what I've been doing in my writing? I would like to think so. The gushing rush to judge my own work is down to a slow-moving stream in the great river of imagination. I feel no safe harbor is at hand. So I plan to sail on, get more detailed, darker, and hope the next book will find a niche of its own. That is the goal, that is the plan.

As this old piece of artwork attests, I have much to do. Compared to my latest artistic efforts, this piece is a little thin on detail, a little light on the thought-provoking thread. But, as with all things that age well, it stands the test of time and lets me know that I am still on the right track. As with the art, the writing will get better, and the light behind my eyes will burn bright again.


The Eye: © 1973 R. Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment